Maybe you should allow a whole new paradigm to shape your thinking about writing and publishing with the growing independent model. New patterns of thinking are necessary to see the possibilities.
Consider this breakout, multi-phased approach to get your message or story before readers …
- Create and develop your online presence as an emerging author. An author website will be your online hub. Use social media to draw attention to your website. Build your email list with an incentive like a free download. Begin doing this immediately.
- Release a mini-eBook, perhaps the first chapter or two, even before your book is complete. It’s a way to begin getting your material before readers. Your mini-eBook can appear on major distribution platforms like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple’s iStore, etc. Let your readers know that a complete eBook and print copy of your book will be available.
- When your book is complete, release a complete eBook. Royalties are as high as 70%. The sale of eBooks is growing exponentially. Currently, eBooks make up 25% of the book market. The largest book seller in the world, Amazon, receives more book revenue from eBooks than paperbacks and hardcovers combined.
- At the same time you release your complete book as an eBook, publish your print book as a POD project (print-on-demand). Whenever copies of your book are ordered by an individual, group, or bookstore, they are immediately produced and shipped within days. You have access to the same distribution channels as large publishing houses. This really is an excellent option with minimal up-front costs. You can also order any quantity of books for yourself at any time at cost.
- Consider publishing your book with traditional self-publishing. This will be the right move for some. You will need to invest money up front. However, the profit margin on your print copies will be higher than the generous profits of print-on-demand. And profits will be much higher compared to traditional commercial publishing.
- Also, consider the innovative idea of pre-selling your book to raise money during your pre-launch phase.
We will miss opportunities and possibilities without an awareness of what is available in today’s “new school” publishing!