via The Domino Project led by Seth Godin and powered by Amazon. Kindle eBook is still free …
Are you getting in your way of producing great work? Have you started a project but never finished? Would you like to do work that matters, but don’t know where to start?
Today we’re proud to publish our second title, Do the Work by Steven Pressfield. A weapon against Resistance, this manifesto will teach you how to start before you’re ready and get out of your own way.
The enemy is Resistance–our chattering brain, which, if we give it so much as a nanosecond, will start producing excuses, alibis, transparent self-justifications and a million reasons why we can’t/shouldn’t/won’t do what we know we need to do.
What are Resistance’s greatest hits?
Here’s an excerpt from Do the Work: the activities that most commonly elicit Resistance.
1. The pursuit of any calling in writing, painting, music, film, dance, or any creative art, however marginal or unconventional.
2. The launching of any entrepreneurial venture or enterprise, for profit or otherwise.
3. Any diet or health regimen.
4. Any program of spiritual advancement.
5. Any activity whose aim is the acquisition of chiseled abdominals.
6. Any course or program designed to overcome an unwholesome habit or addiction.
7. Education of every kind.
8. Any act of political, moral, or ethical courage, including the decision to change for the better some unworthy pattern of thought or conduct in ourselves.
9. The undertaking of any enterprise or endeavor whose aim is to help others.
10. Any act that entails commitment of the heart—the decision to get married, to have a child, to weather a rocky patch in a relationship.
11. The taking of any principled stand in the face of adversity.
In other words, any act that rejects immediate gratification in favor of long-term growth, health, or integrity.
Or, expressed another way, any act that derives from our higher nature instead of our lower. Any of these acts will elicit Resistance.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it. There are several simple ways to stay current with the latest from TrueNorth Publish. Check out our options here.